Woman hits back at Aldi chocolate trolls

A woman who spent Easter in hospital, after eating Aldi chocolate she believed was dairy free, has said she has been trolled online in the days following her ordeal.

Kaley Drummond — who has a serious allergy to milk and nuts — bought some ‘Dairy Fine’ chocolate at her local Melbourne Aldi, and claimed she had been convinced the brand actually read ‘Dairy Free’.

After just one bite of the chocolate bunny, Ms Drummond went into severe anaphylaxis in one of the worst attacks she has ever experienced, requiring doctors to pump her “multiple times” with adrenaline, just to open her airways.

“The people who know me personally know how careful I am with my allergies,” she told 7 News.

Ms Drummond said that in the days since she posted about her ordeal, her email and social media have been inundated with “hateful and nasty comments”.

“I find it very interesting that people are attacking someone who made an honest and easy mistake that could’ve cost me or someone else their life,” she said.

“But I’m also glad it was me who copped the backlash because I’m strong enough to brush it off.”


Hundreds of people took to social media to ask why Ms Drummond didn’t just “read the ingredients” before purchasing her Easter chocolate.

“Why don’t people actually read the ingredients? Not just the label on the front. It’s not Aldi’s fault people don’t read it correctly,” one woman wrote.

Another said: “If you’ve got a serious allergy, wouldn’t you read the package?”

“People with severe allergies read ingredient lists. And if they don’t, then that’s their own fault.”


Ms Drummond said despite the severe trolling she has been subjected to in the past week, a message from the mother of a nine-year-old girl, who died from an anaphylactic reaction, has made her more determined than ever to change packaging standards.

According to 7News, the little girl passed away last year after her mother, Helen, accidentally gave her a chocolate chop cookie to eat, which contained egg. A packet of egg-free biscuits were sitting just beside these.

“(Helen messaged me) telling me that she’s proud of me for sharing my story and more needs to be done surrounding these issues,” Ms Drummond told the network.

“She told me ‘be thankful you’re still here’ and to rest up.”

While Ms Drummond said she isn’t holding Aldi responsible for her allergic reaction, she explained why she was convinced the chocolate said ‘dairy free’.

“I want it to be clear that I’m not blaming Aldi for my mistake, but I do believe the packaging was easily mistaken,” she said.

According to Ms Drummond she had mistaken the words on the wrapper of a chocolate Easter bunny because the “foil was crumpled and the cursive font was hard to read”.


Ms Drummond claimed she contacted Aldi to officially request that they change their signage on Dairy Fine chocolate products, to “help save others” by avoiding similar situations occurring in the future.

A spokeswoman for Aldi Australia told news.com.au that they had been in touch with Ms Drummond, but that hers was an “isolated incident with no other reports”.

“The product is labelled with an allergen statement in bold, which clearly states “CONTAINS MILK”,” the spokeswoman said.

“We always recommend customers check our product labelling for a full list of ingredients if they have any food allergies or intolerances.”